The RequirementsThis position calls for an operational leader who can set strategy, engage in active dialogue with divisional and process leaders, and employ best practices in order to move the needle. S/he should also have the runway take on additional challenges, perhaps including other areas of operations, in the future.
To meet the basic qualifications for this role you will have a verifiable bachelor's degree and legal authorization to work permanently in the U.S. for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Senior Director, Billing Operations opportunity, you should have:
- 5-10+ years of leadership experience in Operations or Shared Services Model., including:
- At least 5 years of direct operations management experience
- A history of success developing and optimizing teams
- A proven track record of driving process
- Experience managing a large team (50+) of direct and indirect reports
- Demonstrated experience managing the revenue cycle, including invoicing and reporting/revenue recognition, cash to order and daily sales
- Strong thought leadership and strategy skills
- Solid technical savvy and experience leveraging technology to facilitate team success
- Experience with major CRM & ERP programs, ideally Salesforce, PeopleSoft, and/or JD Edwards
- An advanced degree
- Experience in the healthcare industry and/or staffing preferred; call center experience
- Experience in other operational areas of accounting/finance (AP/AR/GL, etc.)
- Offshore or outsourcing experience
- Lean Six Sigma knowledge and experience
- Exceptional leadership skills, including the ability to:
- Build, engage and motivate teams
- Coach managers in mentoring and training team members
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop and maintain relationships and trust with other senior leaders and internal partners
- An innovative, get stuff done approach
- The ability to excel and thrive in an extremely fast-paced organization with competing priorities
The RoleReporting to the Senior Vice President, Business Services, you will take ownership of our billing function, part of the Business Services Division, and build a best-in-class billing operation. You will refine, lead and develop a team of approximately 70 members, including 2 senior managers reporting directly to you and five supervisors. Most of the team is located in San Diego, with approximately 15 members spread across two offices in Dallas, TX and Norwalk, CT. In addition to managing the team, you will oversee and manage multiple systems and processes related to revenue capture and provide solutions to unbilled revenue. You will manage performance, coach leaders, and sponsor strategic initiatives in order to grow division performance ultimately impacting customer satisfaction, revenue and profit.
Initially, you will get to know the operations and team members, and ensure the team delivers on its day-to-day responsibilities.
In short order, you will start working on two key objectives:
- Improving the performance of team, including developing and implementing process improvements, ensuring we are leveraging the right team structure and metrics, coaching the Managers and Supervisors in training billing personnel and building team morale.
- Promoting confidence in the team by establishing solid relationships with internal business partners, including Sales Leadership (Account Management & Client Sales), Business Services Leadership, Human Resources, MSP Implementation and others. You will ensure you and your team understand their needs and concerns and ensure that the partners see your team working to support them.
- Strategize with division leadership on a frequent basis to evaluate operational projections and trends to implement action plans that address fluctuating performance and exceed monthly goals.
- Interpret and cascade enterprise-wide company goals in terms of operations plans and production expectations for team members to communicate & reinforce strategy.
- Formulate, propose and execute ideas and solutions to overcome people, resource and competitive obstacles to achieve financial budget/plan leveraging divisional and corporate strategic initiatives.
- Reinforce leadership development expectations by observing managers in real time, and staying current on strategies to influence measurable competency and performance growth, utilizing the IDP & PSP processes.
- Create and adapt performance measures that stay current with company and industry changes by aligning metrics vertically and horizontally across organization.
- Champion new processes across multiple divisions (shared services, business and corporate) by taking holistic view of problems/opportunities while proposing value, casting vision and managing change.
- Measure the viability of process improvements and system enhancements by quantifying recommendations geared towards reducing waste and increasing business results.
- Collaboratively partner with other departments across team lines to gain organizational efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Evaluate systems and technology from an ROI perspective including tangible and intangible costs.
- Measure system performance in terms of quantifiable business and operational outcomes.
- Track department-level production metrics using Scorecards and Dashboards to detect trends and make proactive adjustments to maintain service levels.
- Develop and implement key metrics that quantify and measure performance by analyzing business needs and aligning operational processes to ensure department goals and objectives are met.
- Interpret & funnel up team metrics to executive leadership and board of directors.
- Measure ROI of business proposals and process improvements.
- Sponsor life cycle of large-scale initiatives across multiple divisions including needs analysis, design, testing, implementation and ongoing evaluation.
- Lead multiple large-sized projects concurrently.
Pictured: from temporary and per-diem staffing services to permanent placement and strategic integrated workforce solutions, AMN offers a broad spectrum of physician and clinician staffing services across a number of award-winning brands, as well as a wide variety of healthcare job sites and portals.
Why Join AMN?High visibility impact
Success in this role will be visible throughout our organization, particularly to our senior leaders. Even more importantly, you will ensure we provide world-class billing service and support essential to our success.
Professional development & career growth
History shows that if you invest in your role at AMN, we'll invest in your career. This position will provide you the opportunity to showcase your subject matter expertise, leadership skills, and change management abilities. Once you prove yourself in this role, you could take on other operational areas. In fact, we're searching for a strong leader with a good deal of growth runway. And, if you're coming from outside of healthcare, you'll be building your career in a recession resistant industry.
Stability and strong growth
If you are coming from outside healthcare, you will enjoy the stability of an industry that has been consistent, even during challenging economic times. In addition, AMN is pursuing an aggressive growth strategy that has taken us from $1 billion to almost $2 billion in revenue in just a couple of years. We have a growth plan to reach $4 billion in the next five years! It's an exciting time to be part of our organization.
Ours is a high-energy, fast-paced environment -- sometimes those coming from outside healthcare are surprised at how fast we move -- but, it's also a collaborative environment filled with great people who are passionate about the work they do. You can feel good knowing that the service we provide is critical to the industry, but also to the team of people at AMN providing it.
Excellence in multiple areas -- but don't just take our word for it! Here are a few of the recent awards we've earned:
- Healthcare excellence: AMN Healthcare is among a select group of healthcare staffing firms to receive Joint Commission certification. We first received the Gold Seal of ApprovalTM for Staffing Companies in June 2006.
- Industry excellence: AMN was ranked the largest healthcare staffing company in the U.S. by Staffing Industry Analysts for the second year in a row. We constitute about 10% of a market estimated at $9.8 billion.
- Leadership excellence: In July 2014 AMN's CEO, Susan Salka, was named Director of the Year for Corporate Citizenship by the Corporate Directors' Forum.
- Leadership excellence: AMN's Denise Jackson was named San Diego Business Journal's 2014 General Council of the Year.
- Employment excellence: In December 2013 AMN was named one of Achievers 50 Most Engaged Workplaces for the second time.
In addition to a competitive salary and bonus incentive program, we offer comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans; a 401(k) plan with company match; great employee discounts; and more. Other amenities include an on-site gym, café and Starbucks.
Keys to SuccessRespect · Passion · Continuous Improvement · Trust · Customer Focus · Innovation
These values are embedded in everything we do, and we invest in maintaining a culture that allows people to thrive and grow. We embrace a servant-leadership approach and we'll expect you to do so as well. This means modeling a positive attitude, promoting a high-energy atmosphere, and recognizing success. In place of inflated egos, at AMN you will find confident leaders who are committed to caring about the customer, staff, and the community.
It should be clear by now that this position comes with challenges. Key to success in this position will be creating an inspired team dynamic to execute production targets and implement department strategic initiatives in order to grow team performance and ultimately impact cash levels, days sales outstanding (DSO) and profitability. From a cultural perspective, you will need to lean in and learn from a basic level -- even down to sitting with lower level team members -- to understand operations, identify gaps and institute changes. That deep knowledge will also go a long way to earning credibility with the team, as well as with senior leaders. Insights built through knowledge gain will be paramount as you implement change. You'll also have the benefit of a senior manager (one of your direct reports) who has been with the company more than a dozen years and can help you find your way initially.
People, process, technology...you will need to get ahead of it all in order to build strong KPIs and meet objectives. It will take time, but while you don't want to jump the gun, you'll also don't want to take too long. For example, you will need to build processes and KPIs that impact unbilled revenue in short order.
The environment will be fast and dynamic, and you'll need a strong sense of urgency. At the same time, you should be able to slow things down and demonstrate empathy for external customers, internal business partners, and your own team. The team has been through a lot recently, and in addition to helping them build on strengths, you'll need to inspire and motivate them.
Pictured: more of AMN's diverse and award-winning brands. AMN offers a broad spectrum of physician and clinician staffing services across a number of award-winning brands. See The Role tab for more.
About AMNThe Innovator in Healthcare Workforce Solutions
With a history stretching back to 1985, AMN Healthcare is a vibrant and innovative company, evolving and transforming to help serve the healthcare community. Today we are the industry leader, providing clients with unparalleled access to the largest network of quality clinicians and physicians through our innovative recruitment strategies and breadth of career opportunities. Clients include acute-care hospitals, government facilities, community health centers and clinics, physician practice groups and many other healthcare settings.
Our comprehensive workforce solutions include executable Managed Services Programs (MSP), Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO), and Consulting Services that enable facilities to successfully reduce complexity, increase efficiency, and improve patient outcomes.
Our value proposition includes:
- Cost-effective Workforce Management Solutions
- Dedicated Customer Service
- Unmatched Staffing Expertise
- Consistent Quality
- The Largest Supply of Clinicians and Physicians
Our vision: Recognized as healthcare's workforce innovator, we enable providers to successfully navigate the evolving healthcare environment. We attract and recruit the most comprehensive offering of clinicians and physicians. We achieve superior shareholder value by investing in the most talented and passionate team in the industry.
AMN Healthcare is an EEO/AA/Disability/Protected Veteran Employer. We encourage minority and female applicants to apply.
Video: AMN Healthcare's CEO & President Susan Salka, along with VP of Government and Community Relations Steve Wehn and President of Strategic Workforce Solutions Bob Livonious, speak about AMN's core values and community involvement around the globe.